Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Persistence of a Squirrel


                                                                                                                                                                             This morning I went out and discovered once again the persistence of a squirrel. Since early spring, squirrels have been digging all over my yard, in the beds, in the sod, in pots full of plants. In spite of my efforts to stymie the little rascals, they keep digging, maybe for nuts buried last fall or maybe just for the fun of it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  After years of no squirrels at all, squirrel nests now abound in pecan trees next to my yard and behind it, and in a neighbor’s maple tree on the other side. Even two of my Foster hollies were marred with squirrel nests until Frank rigged a long pole and poked them out, raining leaves and nasty bits of debris on everything below.

Throughout the summer, squirrels kept digging holes, tossing aside plants, and leaving piles of displaced soil. We squirted them with blasts of water, chased them with a broom, and welcomed dogs and cats into the yard to run them out. All to no avail. A few weeks ago, anticipating their bright colors all winter, I planted pansies. The next morning half the pansies, with their bare roots shriveling in the sun, were lying beside squirrel holes. Every time I replanted them, squirrels unplanted them.

I don’t have a happy ending for this sad story. I’m still battling squirrels, even placed my baby succulents in a cage to thwart the rodents. But I have learned the meaning of persistence.

I’ve been told again and again a writer has to be persistent to find an agent. My new novel HAIRT BEFORE DAWN has undergone serious surgery and been reduced from a hefty 107,000 words to a lean, power-packed 90,000. After a number of rewrites and interest from several agents, it is now time for me to persist until I find the right one for me. I’m making my list and checking it more than twice. I will find an agent for I have developed the persistence of a squirrel.

No comments: